Finished!

I wasn't expecting this but I already finished the book The Alchemist and sad to say the ending wasn't the one I was expecting.

After all the exhiliration and the euphoric state that the book contributed to my well-being, I found the ending of the story a bit lacking of hype and resolution.

Was he able to find the treasure?

Yes he did but it was something physical, think gold and precious stones in a treasure chest.

Was he able to return to the girl he left in the desert?

Yes he did and they were both happy with it. 

Was he able to meet the King again?

No, that was their first and last encounter before he went on his tremulous voyage.

Was he able to pay the gypsy the amount agreed if he finds the treasure?

Yes, he was able to pay the gypsy fine.

What happened to the englishman who spent years and years finding a solution on making gold out of other metals?

He was still in the process but that was actually not his Personal Legend.

Who was the Alchemist?

The wisest man from the desert but somehow I find his character so unappealing and lacking depth.

P, Were you able to fulfill your promise to finish the book?

Yes I was but somehow it felt hanging. Seems to me that the book made all the symbolisms in order to make it more meaningful to the reader, it exhausted my mind just thinking what the winds in the desert or what the Soul of the World meant or represented only to find out that Santiago's treasure is LITERALLY, a treasure meant to be exchanged for commodities or for luxury.

The moment I held the book in my hand and tried to feel the texture of the cover, there was magic, an aura of happiness that engulfed me that it took a while for me to open the first page of the book and read the first chapter, the first paragraph, the first sentence, the first phrase, the first word, the first letter. The fact that I imagined the book as having a great impact in my life made sense to who I am and how I can overcome my personal obstacles and what approach I would be able to do in order for me to find the Personal Legend that the book is talking about, it made me very wrong and right now I'm in contemplation, a minor one though.

Rarely do books give me a sense of reason to believe in them more so the authors, I applaud authors who provide vocabulary of richness and absolute narration, it makes me enthusiastic up to the point that I exhibit much interest and obsession even when I'm in school or at home. Dan Brown, Mitch Aibom, Lualhati Bautista  are three of my most idolized authors, Paulo Coelho, on the other hand is still someone I have yet to make a verdict.

The symbolisms used in the book and the way how it perfectly made an abstract definition as to what I was thinking (or maybe finding) made me put down the book for a while to think about life and life's ironies and complications. But, as the story ended, it made me catch a glimpse on how a person should deal with situations and presence of ordeals.

I thank thee for the inspiration.

Next stop, back to Jostein Gaarder's Sophie's World. 
 

Comments

Popular Posts