Supraliminal

"Homosexuality is an Illness."

This is one of the most significant statements I have ever heard from a man of faith, a priest to be exact. 

And the story goes like this:

I went out yesterday to Ayala Makati, being the non-conformist Christian devout that I am, I actually hesitated to hear the mass at Greenbelt 3 after watching Alice in Wonderland (which was utterly disappointing from my point of view). 

Anyway, as I walked past the pebble-y path towards the church, I can already hear the priest's preaching. He was making a sermon about how corruption is an accepted act, from those in the municipality towards the upper hierarchal level.

Oh no, not another topic like this. I am very full of it: the politics, the power, the struggles, everything. I said to myself while I stopped to hear more.

When suddenly the word Homosexual came out of his mouth like a firecracker lit up during the Chinese New Year blasting its way up towards the sky with a thundering noise and a sight to behold but, the opposite was just what I imagined.

Here I am, hearing a mass in order to be somehow be cleansed and to learn more from the words of wisdom of the Almighty One and there in the center of the House of the Almighty One is a preacher who disdains, no, he scorns, refutes and laments the idea that gays are normal people in the society.

I, am a man of diplomacy and good civil state, but, right then and there I wanted to blow his head off and tear him to bits and pieces but good thing is that I have my date to keep my patience intact and my rage to a controllable level. 

The priest further explained that gays aren't moral and people are just tolerating us because we have studies from Psychology and Sociology to back us up.

I beg to disagree, father. I strongly disagree.

His whole mass made me queasy and I really felt awkward not because I'm corrupt, not because I'm gay but the way he delivered it, how he made those statements, how he preached about gays, he made us feel as if we're not meant to be born OR if our parents knew that we were going to be gay then why not consult a physician to prescribe something in order for us to be healed.

Honestly, the feeling was different when you just hear it from people that priests or people of supposedly more faith can actually say something like that.

At the end I was able to compose myself with all his blabbering and tongue-lashing at my/our sexual preference. Indeed, it was a mass worth hearing, if World War 3 is your thing. 

Comments

  1. So, did you confront him about what he said? =)

    Kane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't bother anymore. I suppose my actions will speak for itself. Let bigots be bigots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gusto ko yan: "Let baygots be baygots". LOL, parang bi na fag lang. Chos.

    "I, am a man of diplomacy and good civil state, but, right then and there I wanted to blow his head off and tear him to bits and pieces but good thing is that I have my date to keep my patience intact and my rage to a controllable level." - wag ganyan. Sacrilege yan, P.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, it was just a delusional attempt. Well I won't be hearing a mass there anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And that is precisely the reason why I have detached myself from the rigidity of religious teachings. I refuse to believe that I am condemned to hell just because I'm gay. It is just ironic how Christianity preaches of a God who bears Unconditional Love when they taint that with all sorts of condition (such as the paths to heaven or hell). Trivia: In Spain (the country which brought Catholicism to the Philippines) same sex marriage has been made legal ages ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know, it's just too discriminating and derogatory.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts