The Bear in Me

I was born to be a bear or so I think I was. Being a couch potato in my early childhood and pubertal years made me realize that I do a lot of sitting, lying, yawning and occasional turning from side to side to prevent bed sores. What can I say, I love sleeping, it makes me refreshed and relaxed and more so, invigorated. Hibernating is an understatement.

However, as of College life came it became more prominent, more noticeable, more lengthy and it caught my attention.

Was it because of my bad diet choices?

Was it because of the weather?

Was it because I lack sleep because of (assumingly) studying for long hours?

Was it because I think too much and my brain wants to rest?

Was it because I'm regressing to infantile years wherein more than 12 hours is needed in order for the body to feel replenished?

Whatever the reason, I still sleep too much.

Take this for instance: it was an afternoon class starting at 13:00 and being the lunch whores that we were, we do eat till our hearts content and our bulges grow to enormous proportions.

We were at the room even before the lunch break ended. The professor came in right on time and shucks, lecture has to pursue. 

Being on a carb-diet during College years, I barely eat poultry and meat. I have lessened my intake of those and up until now, the human flesh is another thing though I have cravings for those every now and then. Hahaha! Anyway, carbs are primarily brain food, they are the suppliers of energy not just to the brain but the whole human system, they nourish from the organ systems down to the cellular level. 

My point is, too much of it can easily make you drowsy and sleepy which can make your academics very risky.

The professor, a tall woman with long curly hair reaching to shoulder level is a very patient one, being a nurse in a hospital, it pays that she has the experience to go with her concept for us to learn more, know more and grasp more. Jargons are more or less part of the learning process but nevertheless, still understandable.

And the torture begins... 

There are three types of solutions: Isotonic, Hypertonic and Hypotonic. They are indicated for different types of cases. Isotonic as what the name suggests is equal part solute and equal part solvent used mostly to keep the vein open after venipuncture or surgery procedures. Hypotonic is less solute than solvent, ergo, cell swells up in order for rehydration to initiate. Hypertonic solution on the other hand have higher solute concentration, when cellular dehydration occurs particularly major burns, this solution plays a key role in maintaining homeostasis.

Oh, the horror! The horror! And the time! The time! It's my nap time.

And so, bit by bit, slowly but moving ever so surely, I went to silence mode. The attentive me gave in to the call of Mr. Sandman, his song had that hint of tranquility which was so irresistable. He conquered my innermost thought of having a power nap in the middle of the discussion. Bah! Stupid concept! I don't need her to learn! My mind is more powerful, I can learn by myself! Bwahahaha!

And so my ears went pseudo-deaf, my eyes went nearly blind, my attention span did not span longer anymore and my arms plopped down on the desk chair who was singing praises for the act.

I acted as if no authority is in front, so egoistic of me. My seat mates tried to nudge me back to reality but the sand sprinkled within my eyes were powerful enough to make my head plop down on the desk chair as well.

That's it, I zonked out, unaware of the discussion, unaware of the topic, unaware of the topic, unaware of the authoritative figure in front. 

The power nap was a success! It was a 30 minute rest worth remembering because after her discussion she gave us a quiz and what do you know, I still got a high mark! So much for burning eyebrows for late hour study sessions.

P.S. I take back what I said, I had to study the whole night just for that concept. Arrrggghhh!

And yes, I still doze off every now and then because I still believe I am a bear. A neon pink, fuzzy bear.  

Comments

  1. Coffee and/or nicotine lang yan. Hehe. Oops, nurse ka nga pala. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny thing is that nurses, medical technologists and even doctors smoke and drink a ton when stressed! Talk about ironies! But no, I'm a social drinker and smoker. I eat when I'm upset, that's my stress buster. Haha!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts