While I Run

When I'm angry, I run longer. I have noticed that when I was first rejected by a guy.

I care not to stop. I care not to halt. I care not even though it was getting dark.

Running has always been an outlet for me. A ventilation of some sort. It is an activity where I let all my frustrations go and just get it out of my system. It might be tiring but the wind against your body is exhilarating. The chilliness of the weather would not stop me nor the heat of the sun. It is one of those weekly activities I look forward to especially if work-school-gym had been stressful in that particular week.

I run on weekends. If I haven't mentioned that yet. I run in Manila Memorial Park which is actually in front of our subdivision. Sometimes I run inside BF Homes, threading along huge houses and huge trees along Phase 3. But I run more at the former than the latter. I used to run in Bonifacio Global City, where my office was formerly located. I like running in new places. I like the new views and the new scenery. Sometimes, when I run on a different place, I do not think of the distance nor the quality of my run, I just want to experience the new surrounding.

I sing when I run. I don't care if people see me as crazy or not. I like to sing when I'm alone and when I run, I'm alone. I sing at the top of my lungs or snap my fingers to the beat. I used to raise my hands up and do a fist pump but I figured that was even awkward.

Alone time. Personal space. That's what I think of when I exercise. It's a form to be alone. And you know it helps me a lot. Frankly, I don't like jogging buddies. I hate the idea of having to run the same pace and to wait for your buddy. My pace, my time, my rules.

Goals. I think of my goals when I run may it be short, medium or long-term ones. Like what I have said, running provides me a time to be by myself and I take it as a luxury.

I have never joined a Fun Run. I think they're overrated and over-hyped. There was a time when my partner invited me last October to run at Nike's Duo Run on December which is a 10K run. I kindly declined. I told him P1800 for a run that short is not worth it. I run longer than 10K on a weekly basis. I'd rather save that amount for apparel or shoes. And then out-of-the-blue my officemates last December invited me for that 16K run in Cavitex under 7'11". I accepted their challenge. I told my partner about it, only to cause a huge argument about me saying 'yes'. And when my officemate already had me registered and told me to pay the P800 to a nearby 7'11 store, I declined as well. I figured P800 could be my allowance for a week.

I don't have to prove myself to people. I think people do those 21K or 30K or 42K runs to prove themselves. To test how far they could endure. That they are strong. I know I am stronger than before. I don't need those to tell me how strong I am.

When I'm angry, I run longer. And I don't plan to stop anytime soon.

Comments

  1. I can usually think things through by going on really long walks. It feels satisfying :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly does. I enjoy long walks as well.

      Sometimes I even call it reflective walks.

      Delete
  2. I'm not a runner, but I agree with you the "fun runs" are hyped and overrated. Like weightlifting, running is a solitary activity. It is how you gain discipline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I totally agree. It's on how you gain discipline.

      And yes, avoiding alcohol is also a good way of discipline. Especially if it contains soju.

      Delete
  3. That's another way of looking at marathons. I never see it that way before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The human psyche is a very complicated subject...

      I cannot elaborate further as I am not an expert on this matter.

      Thank you for the comment Geosef.

      I see you in FB. :)

      Delete
  4. I was telling a friend I should start running soon para naman may masagot ako when people ask me what's my passion, because dancing usually elicits a strange reaction haha
    Running is an exercise and exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy, so maybe it will curb your anger eventually. Hi, my name is Elle Woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I actually prefer dancing, if I just have the talent.

      Hi Elle Woods, how are you doing? We should get together sometime.

      - Paris Hilton

      Delete
  5. Since you like to run in a different place you might want to try running in Heritage Park

    You also might want to read "What I talk about when I talk about running" by Haruki Murakami

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have actually tried running in Heritage Park but that was way back during college years. It's a good track. Lots of fit sons of soldiers. LOL.

      I have yet to read that as I want to read the Wind-up Bird Chronicle first and then 1Q84.

      I appreciate your suggestion!

      Delete
    2. Gusto ko din yang Wind-up bird chronicle kaya lang lagin out of stock. Tssss! Have you read Kafka?

      Delete
    3. As of this time I have read four books of Murakami: Kafka on the Shore; Norwegian Wood; Dance, Dance, Dance; and South of the Border, West of the Sun.

      Kafka is a beautifully twisted novel.

      Delete
    4. So true. tapos habang binabasa mo yung book ang dami mong tanong tapos by the end pag natapos mo na kahit hindi nasagot mga tanong mo, tatanggapin mo na lang.. ewan, parang ganun yung na feel ko eh. Parang it taught me how to accept things that I don't understand

      Delete
    5. Absolutely. I just felt weird after reading that book.

      Norwegian Wood though is very good. As in.

      Delete
    6. Ako din natulala nga ako right after reading the last page parang nagkaroon ako ng maikling panahon mag reflect. Hahaha! Pero naisip ko ang daming segments dun or elements dun na medyo hypnotic? Hahaha! tska ibang parts ng plot na walang connection sa isa't isa.

      Talaga? May movie na yun eh :)

      Delete
    7. Yeah, very disconnected!

      I did see on the cover that it has a Major Motion Picture but I'm not a fan of movies. Haha.

      Delete
  6. I am amazed at guys like you. Running is such a chore for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well we do what we do to stay fit plus it can really, as in really clear up one's mind.

      Try light jogging, not only will it strengthen your endurance but also teach you proper breathing techniques especially when lifting heavy. :)

      Delete
  7. Good outlet! Wish it helps me when I am pissed off.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts