I Quit!

And yes, after more than six months of still not finishing that damn book Sophie's World, I now officially close it and tuck it away in my cabinet for safekeeping.

Don't get me wrong, the book is very informative, think Edith Hamilton's Mythology but with a storyline. The problem is it is very dull. Sure comparisons are inevitable just for the sake of illustrating what the author wants to provide to the readers from the Philosopher's point of view but I just find it too dragging.

The anonymous lecturer still with his ever, vigilant self in order to provide Sophie with that hint of mystery as to who he is and what his genuine intentions are. A major play of hide and seek. Not so much fun there.

And Sophie, the much intrigued school girl, perplexed, confused, but very willing to learn from the lecturer. She takes note of all what she learned from every Philosopher- from the beginning of thinking up to what I lately read, Plato's idealisms.

I guess that sums up what the book has taught me, uh, hmmm, wait, there is? I can't remember what significance it taught me. I'm sure there is something aside from killing time.

Oh well, after reading and finally finishing Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist last January I think I deserve some book pampering and let me tell you it's not an easy task because of my limited patience, limited resources, and limited attention span.

I decided to drop by National Bookstore after going to the supermarket to buy some things. At the back of my head I was thinking of what authors I can choose from:

Lualhati Bautista?

Jessica Hagedorn?

Dan Brown?

Danielle Steel?

Mitch Aibom?

Miguel Syjuco?

F. Sionil Jose?

Joel McVie?

Gibbs Cadiz?

Danton Remoto?

Neil Garcia?

David Zincenko?

Dr. Phil?

With much rounds and looking at gists at the back of the books which nearly took me an hour just to decide THE BOOK for which I can allot my time and effort to I decided I'm gonna play safe plus the fact that collecting his books will be a life long dream. I decided to pick:

Veronika Decides to Die.

I figured I don't need self-help and fitness books this time. More so romantic and titillating themes. And more importantly, I abhor any politically-related books. Bah! Call me insensitive or don't-give-a-rat's-ass but that's me when it comes to the colorful world of Governance. 

The overview goes: Twenty four year old Veronika seems to have everything-youth and beauty, boyfriends and a loving family, a fulfilling job. But something is missing in her life.

Quite inspiring. I have to open and read it to know what's missing.

Hymen?

Clitoris?

Just kidding. This is something profound. 

Comments

  1. Have you read the God of Small Things?

    ReplyDelete
  2. veronika is one of my fave books by paolo coehlo :D

    watch out for the "piano scene" ;)) one of the best parts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. * Galen - who's the author? I'm interested to read the book.

    * lee - I will. Geez, can't wait to open it up and take my mind inside. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A long time ago, my then-boyfriend decided to scour through my stack of half-read books and found Veronica. He read it overnight and fell in love with it. Today, he still tells people that this is his most favorite book of all time and I'd like to think that he's reminded of me every time he does. Giggles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm...that got my imagination running for a sec. Will read it while I'm doing nothing at work, supposedly. Thanks Tristan. What's your ex's mobile no.? Hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts