Accounts

Friendster. The one that started it all. It was THE networking site during those heydays. If you don't have Friendster you're uncool, not in, corny. Yeah, yeah, yeah I get it that's why I signed up because of much pressure and demand from friends and acquaintances.

You don't have Friendster? Asked my ever inquisitive friend.

I don't. I don't need to. Actually, the main reason I don't have any account that time is because I'm so lazy to compose one. Most people like the idea of typing down every one bit of themselves but I'm just not into that so much. Your status, favorite books, movies, food, hobbies, and so on and so forth. It was too strenuous for my brain to even think, type, delete typos and reread the whole page again as if I'm doing my thesis over and over and over again.

Correct. I am just being too critical about this but, hey, I have Friendster (or FS) and it's still up and running. So old school of me. Hahaha!

Then Multiply came, oh, if I could just remember my cousins faces about this new site! They were telling me that it was the best! You could upload tons of pictures and videos and you could personalize it more than FS. They were urging me to make a Multiply account then we could get connected again. At the back of my head I was thinking, WTF! We're already connected through FS, Yahoomail and even by blood! Why do we need to connect more? And so, I didn't give in to their concomitant teasing and forcing. I made it clear that I'm not interested in Multiply. Go ahead, Multiply all you want.

Oh Em Dyi! The mother of all mother of networking site came and it became such a rave. The name says it all...Facebook! It became THE NETWORKING SITE and still is, FYI. The Facebook Generation arrived with its uncanny updates over the air, mini game applications that most people are getting addicted to, and last but not least are the statuses that people consider very seriously factual. For the longest time I was straying away from all of this because it's such a drag to make another one again... Let's see...

I have Yahoomail, Friendster, ManJam, Planet Romeo, Facelink. Downlink... think, think, what other accounts do I have? Hi5 and Plurk and Blogspot. Man! Quite a few and quite a hustle to maintain but the good thing is that I'm moon shining and most of these accounts I mentioned are actually non-existent. 

And so, because I want to be hip, cool, in with the latest, and a fad follower, I created a Facebook account. It was very discreet. Very, very discreet. I silently invited my cousins and after a few days my College classmates and then it grew from there but still not as many as FS with about 700 friends which 95% are clueless who I am, but anyway, I'm happy with that and we all know it can't be helped if people sometimes add you in Facebook just to add a friend or just for their list or the numbers to soar high but for me I want to keep it to a minimum. Slowly, I opened up the door of my account to people I connected in parties and certain meet-ups.

I'm still hesitant to invite friends anonymously and I rarely, barely, really invite friends unless I personally have known them for quite some time. 

P.S. Sorry, I will never be interested to you Twitter. NEVERRRR!!!

P.P.S. And don't you find it interesting that FS is now a gay hook-up site?  

Comments

  1. I don't find these sites working to my advantage when it comes to finding hookups. Seriuosly.

    The bathhouse (or the bar and disco) is still the most convenient place to get sex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. same here. I created my friendship accounts out of peer pressure.

    Before I only had Friendster. Pero ngayon... FB, Multiply, Flickr, Blogger.

    I find these sites helpful in expanding my network, meeting new peeps. I'll keep them hanggang sa may nakakausap pa ako na mga online friends dun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. * Carrie - Hehe, of course these sites aren't for everyone's taste as some as don't like hooking-up in bars, etc.

    * Nimrod - Quite a few there eh? :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts