Venturing into a Life Purpose

Today marks the first day of my volunteer work at a mentally-challenged institution.

Volunteer work meaning no allowance, no stipend, no incentive, no honorarium, no wage, no financial benefit.

Personally and practicality-wise, I would have declined this offer from the DSWD worker when she told me about the overview of the volunteer program.

I was taken aback, a bit astounded of the contract. With all the recession and the majority of the Filipino population on the poverty line, they could have offered something more

"You get a Certificate of Completion after you finish the allotted 100 hours." said the lady during the day I submitted my requirements to her.

"Huh?"

"What the heck am I gonna do with a Certificate of Completion?"

"It won't even be credited in hospitals!"

"It won't pay for my gym!"

"It won't buy any cat food!"

"It won't allow me to purchase Topman shirts!"

"It won't be able to buy me that dream phone which by the way just got released in the Philippine market!"

"It won't be able to provide me that house and lot I've been dreaming since I started dreaming!" 

"It won't be able to pay for the Monthly Internet fees, how am I gonna blog?"

"It won't allow me to purchase oatmeal, cereals, muesli, pitted dates, raisins, prunes, apricots and dried cranberries!"

"It won't allow me to hang-out, have coffee, go to malls, go to clubs!"

"It won't give me an SSS loan, PhilHealth and Maxicare Benefits, hello, I can die any second?!"

"It won't allow me to go on dates." 

My mind thrashed the idea of volunteering: it gave a great argument, it became bias to its decision, it gave key points of the disadvantages, it provided honest to goodness factors, it presented a spectacular debate.

But, I chose to go on with it. No but's, no if's, no complaints, no negativities, no pessimisms, no arguments.

I'm here for a purpose, to help people, especially the mentally-challenged ones.

Do you know how great it is to feel that you're connecting with them? It's priceless and wisest.

It will provide you better self-awareness and self-analysis. And with all the complexities of life, it's worth it.

Sacrifices have to be made in order to flourish and improve oneself.

I made a big leap already, time for me to take it up a notch and go on with life as what I've been planning ever since. 

Comments

  1. i think the cat food idea is cute, and yes, hindi OBVIOUS na addict ka sa topman. have you heard of the sale? theyre like buy 1 take 1 and some of the jeans are around 1k+ lang.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Is the sale on going? Damn!!! I have to wait till I have extra money to spend. Oh well...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts