Of Psychos, Retards and Fitting In

The moment I  walked around the Institution, it transported me to a place I have yet to see, something I have yet to explore, something new and unnatural, something I know that will mesmerize me, unfold limitless possibilities, and instill unforgettable experiences.

The first time I made an ocular tour, I was feeling ambivalent. I felt awkward and excited.

Is it from lack of experience? Maybe, but one thing is for sure, I'm in it for the long haul and be my best.

Deformed facial features, toothless grins, frazzled looks, unkempt hair, stain-ridden clothes, unconscious salivation, scabies scattered all over the body, noticeable patches of dead skin cells, weird gestures,very distinguishable odor, and creepy expressions. 

Something definitely outside the norm. Something you don't see everyday. Something  you will regret or accept.

I am here observing their lives, what it's like to be confined in something I'm sure they didn't want to happen, nor did their parents or guardian, but it did, it really did happen.

Abandoned, surrendered, lost and found - these are most of the cases why they are staying there. How it pains me to see that there are a lot of potential for them to live independently given a chance.

How parents can actually abandon someone biologically coming from them is incomprehensible.

How parents surrender a human being just because of incapacitation or fear is unforgivable  

How parents lose their special kids is out of the question. 

The stigma of the society against the mentally-challenged lives on and it is not a pretty sight. 

As I see them watering plants near their cottages, plowing soil for their vegetable project, sweeping dried leaves, feeding themselves even if they are having the most difficult time, folding linen and forgetting to hand them to the helper, interacting with others even if their words are incoherent and non-understandable, and purely trying their best to live life as what a normal person can do. I catch myself thinking that life for them ain't bad after all.

They don't need to experience rush hours.

They don't think on how to feed their overcrowded, extended, indifferent family. 

They don't think of how to go on about with their lives.

They don't need to make tedious and often critical decisions.

They don't think of their sexual preferences.

They don't get nags, shouts and pressures from bosses.

They don't spend on luxury, Iphone is not in their vocabulary.

They don't care if they eat carbs or fried foods all day.

They don't argue with their salary.

They don't envy co-workers for being promoted. 

They don't complain with their lives.

It may be Hell to some, that is factual.

But, it may be Nirvana to them. 

As I peered into their lives, it gave me a lot to be thankful for. And that's why I'm sharing this experience with all of you. Because fitting in and being normal to one's eye will always be subjective. 

Why is being normal crucial anyway? 

Comments

  1. true, wala rin silang sangkatutak na topman slimfit shirts at gym membership :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. * Dhon - how was numero doce when you went there?

    * Herbs - Amen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy are the innocent, their's is an easier lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But the innocent are deprived of all the wondrous emotions and experiences the world has to offer...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who are we to judge against their condition and remark as if we pity them only because they "are deprived of all the wondrous emotions and experiences the world has to offer..."? They have their own unique experiences, one which the world had offered them (because what the world offers should never be narrowed and limited to the dicates of norms, as there is a great reason why the Universe is VAST). At least they act the way they are pre-ordained to act ... unlike some people who are supposed to be sane but act like they are out of depth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. *heliosapollos - I like how you think! And I'm pretty sure I would be able to experience more of this vastness soon...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts