The Bread Talk

My Achilles Heel ever since I gave up eating rice was bread. I haven't eaten rice for about five to six years already. It's not that I don't want it anymore or something similar to that, it just so happens that I need to give that up in order to cut back on my daily caloric needs. So, lo and behold, the mighty bread comes in as a replacement.

I know, I know, some of you might even chuckle or laugh out loud because breads especially the pastry types are more calorie-laden and calorie-rich that you'd be a fool to substitute it to rice (a cup of rice has 200kcal). Hey, call me a fool then.

It's not as if I didn't try giving -up bread or more particularly the white type of bread which has a lot of carbohydrate content as compared to fiber-rich, whole wheat breads which has lower carbohydrates. I actually did, try my very, very best to cut down my intake of breads. First week was a success! Second week was still OK, munched a bit throughout. But come third week, I was absolutely being such a breadaholic that friends are actually asking if I'm on a bread diet. So much for abstaining.

I consider bread as my obsession. And I don't even mean the Bizu, Le Ceour or the Breadtalk varieties, just plain old bakery bread will do or, I appreciate those bakery breads more than these high-end pastry shops mentioned. Come to think of it, I was never a fan of these high-end pastries mainly because their prices are enough to feed a family for an entire day. Hehe, I'm a self-confessed thrift freak, frugal fart and cheapskate so it comes to no surprise that I don't purchase pastries from those.

My absolute favorite are cakes, they are, the far worst cravings I have. You name it I'll eat it. Becky's has the best, Conti's is second place and Banapple is my third. Cakes have always limped me back to my pre-diet days and with the past holiday season, I ambivalently enjoyed/felt guilty with every indulgent morsel of heaven as it touched my lips and savored all the ingredients slowly melting in my mouth. Delectable to say the least but totally sinful. Oh yeah, I don't recommend that molten cake from CBTL, it's really uninspiring and unappetizing to the tongue. I however recommend the Peach Walnut Torte from Conti's and the Prune Walnut Torte from Becky's. What? You'd think I would say Mango Bravo? Nope. I can make something more delicious than that with just mangoes, graham crackers, condensed milk and cream. Oh geez, my mouth is watering already. :)

I have always been a fan of breads especially bakery breads because I live in a residential area where there are about five or six bakeries within the vicinity, more if I gallivanted farther but still reachable with walking. Convenience is the main reason I just love bakery breads, they're everywhere and you don't even need to look far. Price is the second reason, yes, breads have been shrinking and shrinking from a pan de sal's fist size portion way back my early childhood days to a quarter of a fist with lots of air inside from today's standards, but nonetheless, still pretty edible. Lastly is portion, as we all know, dieting is hard work especially coming from someone who had eating problems before so portion control is what I can do to minimize my intake of food, I think it's a good thing that bakery breads are getting smaller and smaller (???) with the increase of prices of flour. My favorite is Pan de Coco which is bread filled with sweetened grated coconut. I love it when it's slightly warm and soft enough for you to eat it as is. Julie's has the best I have tasted so far.

There have been multiple times that I depended on bread to make me feel happy, or even worthy. Every bite I take is a joy that I could barely comprehend but enjoyed every minute of it. It's like an implied understanding between me, my hypothalamus and my ego. But afterwards, I'd feel guilty, shameful and full of remorse. I go through this cycle every once in a while, it's getting tiring but adjusting is a way of living. 

If only my obsession for breads can emanate to my affection and love for a person...

Nyahahaha! Just kidding. I love bread. 'Nuff said.

Comments

Popular Posts