The Art of Euphemism

The night was biting. It had been a long day with the sun rising only to a certain extent while the clouds covered the rays and the wind dominantly filled the Metro.


It has been awhile since this happened. The summer was ferocious and it still is but tonight was an exception. I was under a blanket.


I was reading A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley when I suddenly heard some noise outside. Closing the book and laying it near the headboard of the bed, I peeked outside.


There were two guys, gay guys in shorts nearly up to their pubices. They were flamboyantly talking, walking, and doing hand gestures. They were making such noise outside that it became apparent to me that it was really a ruckus. I told myself to calm down and let them walk up to where they were heading and just be done with it but my mind was being tortured by their high-pitched tones accompanied by high volume resonating to a certain degree of irritability. 


Readying to shout from our home and let people have their peace of mind, I was trounced by a guy from a nearby house telling them to shut up.


Now normally I wouldn't react and nonchalantly reopen the book again. It was an interesting book about a futuristic caste system but no, the man's words were simultaneously downright discriminatory and derogatory. Calling them faggots and telling them to shut up isn't right. Not right at all.


The words reverberated to my ears like a loud titillating scream inside a hollow cave. Annoying.


I closed my ears and bit my lips to control my patience. This isn't the right time for a rebuttal.


With the society in an alarmingly increasing freedom of expression and speech, there is also a rapid decline of morals.


The man could have just told them to shut up and make up with a lesser evil approach but he had to do it with a greater evil.


Euphemism. Just how keen are we in using this?


How many times have you had someone you disliked tell it straight to their faces that they are fugly and would never be happy for the rest of their damned lives?


I had and hurt many lives. It was inexcusable. It showed everything I am from personality to breeding and finally how I perceive others.


But I have learned to be more adapted to people especially now where most people can be really bit**y and complaining about minute albeit totally resolvable things plus the gap between social classes are becoming more pronounced so to speak.


Incessant discrimination is all around us and that is the truth but you don't have to "ride with the tide". The world is brash and we don't need to add to this.


If people just look more into the situation than telling people outright, without thinking clearly, how one feels then this might just help us to be better people.


The question lingers and it's challenging you: how can you be a euphemist?

Comments

  1. Hmmm... Depende...

    Nasanay na kasi ako dito na straightforward. Pero sa callcenter alam mo naman na kailangan laging positive scripting. hehehe

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's what you call the art of diplomacy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. kakairita nga yun mga taong ganun, hay naku!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i always try to be nice when dealing with these things. but in our field we have to be at least straightforward and at least show who's in command. but there's still limitation from being nice to being rude and brutal.

    kamusta ka na G? :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts