A Silent Forlorn

It was a windy afternoon. The sun was hiding behind the gargantuan sheets of clouds scattered throughout the sky. The trees gracefully swayed from left to right. School-aged children were all playing outside accompanied by their mothers or guardians.


Zach and Kirby were riding their blue bicycles. They were laughing, chasing each other, and having the best time with each other. Zach is our neighbor. A big kid, big for his age. Oh yeah, and heavy too. I see myself in him when I was growing up. Kirby on the other hand is my cousin. A big kid too. They've been best friends ever since they were  toddlers and have been inseparable ever since. They consider Thomas the train as a national hero.


As the two practically pedalled their way around our stone-ridden street I can't help but smile at them. With their innocent laughs and joyful disposition, their playful moment made me nostalgic.


I closed our gate and went inside the house. I came from somewhere and thought I had enough idle time watching them. I need to rest a little.


I saw my Dad seating comfortably again and watching a noontime show I didn't even bother checking.


It irritates me how he can sit so comfortably without worries and yet my Mom tries so hard just to make ends meet.


I took off my clothes which were slightly soaking in sweat and proceeded to the comfort room and there along with the digested food, I flushed the bad vibes away.

I donned my boxer shorts, went out of the comfort room and felt much better. I noticed something different. My Dad went out. He opened the car and switched the engine on.


I went near our door just behind the screen to see what was happening.


Zach and Kirby were still playing just outside the gate, still with the same mood and affect.


He looked at the two and smiled. His smile actually makes me digress but this time there was something queer - a peculiar feeling from his smile.


I saw repentance in his smile. I could clearly see how the two reminded him of me as a child, always playful, always cheerful, always happy, sometimes crying.


I saw his smile with a twist of sadness, that somehow, had he been a better father, we would have been better children.


He used to call me 'good boy'.


But there is nothing he could do about it now. Times have changed. People have changed. I have changed. I still despise him.


In time I know in my heart that I will be able to forgive him but the question is, will it be too late by then?


That, that I don't know for now...


Dawn was nearing. Zach and Kirby packed up their bikes and went into their respective homes while my Dad went out of the house and I went upstairs to my room to take a nap.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts