A Life Scare

"That's not an allergy." The dermatologist told me while he was inspecting my arms with his pen light.


"What do you mean?" I asked him in a tone of denial.


"That's an infection." He gave it to me straight without hesitations.


"When was the first time you encountered these?" While pointing to my arms ridden with red, water-filled, skin-irritated patches.


"September or October last year." I told him while also showing traces of scabs left by the last allergy attack, or so I thought.


"What medications are you taking now?" He asked me while still looking at those unsightly red patches.


"I'm taking Cefalexin 500 mg. three times a day and Cetirizine 10mg. once a day. Cefalexin because I also have a tooth infection right now. See, my right cheek is swollen." I looked at him in the eye confident of the medications I was taking and pointing to my cheek how bloated it looks. I looked like a chubby guy albeit on one side only.


"What's your work?" He asked me without batting an eyelash.


"I'm a nurse."


He looked at me again and smiled, with a hint of sarcasm.


"Doctor, take a look at this." He called the female dermatologist on the other cubicle of the small room alloted for dermatologists on duty on that day. 


The female doctor went immediately  and looked at my arms and on my right foot which looked like dormant volcanoes that erupted simultaneously. Ugh.


"He also has a tooth infection and is now taking Cefa, three times a day." The dermatologist continued.


She looked at me again, searching, scanning my face - hands and foot.


I turned worried.


"Start Clindamycin capsules every six hours for seven days plus Mupirocin cream twice a day and Cetirizine once daily." She told the dermatologist who initially checked on my condition.


"What is this?" I asked both of them while the male dermatologist started prescribing medications on his Rx sheet.


"Furunculosis." And he wrote down medications I needed to purchase while I waited for his instructions and finally thanked him for his time.


I boarded a jeep, bought the needed medications and went home. Everything will be better.


Or that's what I was claiming to think...








Part 1

Comments

  1. I Googled the diagnosis, doesnt seem to be life threatening or highly contagious. Im a nurse too. Dermatology isn't exactly dealt in depth anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. for sure, lakas ng hits ng furunculosis because of this. hehe

    well, it doesn't seem that serious. get well bro

    ReplyDelete
  3. you'll be well. flawless again in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. get well soon bro. Kung anu man ang basa sa sakit mo, hope it will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Balitaan mokami kung anu nang nangyari sa iyo o kung effective ang mga bago mong gamot. I am thinking of something else. Will pray for your recovery.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts