The Hues Of Pink

The night was humid and warm, I took my cap off and ruffled my hair. My forehead was starting to form beads of perspiration and I was nearly home.

Glancing from afar I saw shirtless men with their bottles of Red Horse and singing merrily in front of the store.

"Oceeeaaan Deeeeep! I'm so afraid to show my feelings!"
 
They were singing a sentimental song but made it much jollier, much out of note.
They were having the time of their life, with nothing to think but tonight. Drink and be merry so they say.

Farther down the street I was walking, I saw him, the parlorista with his waddling walk, over-the-top make-up, and flamboyant manicure set, he was out to service someone.

The parlorista who I see every night that has an 8-5 job at a parlor near our subdivision's entrance.
The parlorista who I see every night walking along dark alleys of our subdivision just so he could render service to someone and make an extra income. It doesn't matter how much, what matters is there is something.

The parlorista who I see, not every night, but sometimes, buying food for his nieces and nephews because his siblings left all the responsibility to him while they either gossip about someone or drink till the wee hours of the morning.

The parlorista who I see buying medicines for his ailing mother that despite how much he tries to make ends meet, he just can't seem to do so, yet he tries his very best.

As he gaudily sashayed near the store to pass, all types of insults flew from the drinking men's mouths, them with their beer bellies, haughty laughter, and derogatory mockeries.

He went on as if nothing happened.

But I heard them crystal clear.

As the parlorista passed through me, I saw his eyes - of remorse and sadness.

He knows I am too, an ally, a brother, or a sister, perhaps.

I wish I could have said something, defended him for such lies they threw at him.

But I couldn't. And bowed my head as if shamed.

Arriving at home, I immediately took all of my clothes and took a bath and drowned my thoughts.

I got out of the bathroom with a miniscule sense of relief.

But the night was still warm and suddenly it just felt so much warmer.

Comments

  1. We all have our stories. His is uncommon.. Yours is familiar. It's sad to think that we are not able to help.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts