Reaches

"Sorry...for everything."


You were at my back trying to mildly move the swing. I looked back at you, perplexed.


"About what?"


"For the things I have done. I am, truly sorry."


You were looking ahead, across the children playing, laughing and screaming.


"Everything's fine. Don't worry. We're cool."


And I told you that because I mean it.


I looked ahead across the children too, such a delight to behold.


You swung me slightly, enough for me to know that you're still at my back.


We were at a children's playground. I didn't know how we ended up there but it was the best place, I guess. It felt nostalgic. And I felt, at peace.



You apologized yet I was the one who need to be apologizing because I fell too early to even predict the outcome or maybe denial was just too strong to ignore.

It was never your fault that you rejected me.

Moments have passed and I'm still asking myself the same old questions.

But enough of that.

"What happened to us?"

You swung me faster, enough to let me know that there was an emotion accompanying the inquiry.

"We happened but nothing happened."

I looked back at you again and smiled.

"But for what it's worth, I really did try reconnecting with you."

You stopped the swing and smiled back at me, then looked ahead and saw the children merrily running around.

"I know."

And then I left you at the park without looking back, without turning around, without slowing my walk.

And woke up.

A dream had consumed.

Forgiveness. Frailty. Numbness.

And some takes a lifetime to forgive.

Comments

  1. forgive and never forget. because forgetting is silly. it should be a reminder of a lesson learned.nice entry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, i agree to forgive but not to forget... :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts