Extensions To Existence

"You here, G?"


A good friend of mine suddenly messaged me through FB.


"Yes I am."


I replied.


"What's your number?"


I gave him my number.


After a few moments of going back and forth to various websites, I saw an unknown number calling my phone.


"Hello?"


"G, I lost my phone." His voice deep and a little disturbed.


"Oh..." A moment of silence fell.


"Where'd you lose it?" I added.


"I don't know."


"I see."


"It's irritating G."


"I could understand how you feel. That is normal."


"Well, that's how it really is, no?"


"Yes, yes it is." I quite agree.


"It actually amazes me when you just said it's irritating." I quickly added.


"Why?" He asked.


"Well, I for one, when I lost my phone last October, I literally got disoriented near the MRT station. I was like Sisa amidst the people walking along the busy sidewalk."


"I guess that's just how it is G."


"Yes. I know exactly what you mean. So, have you called Globe about your lost phone?"


"Ah yes, I haven't. Call you in a bit."


"Okay, thanks."


Phones may be tangible objects. But sometimes people regard them as more than that.


That phone you lost after a break-up and kept you somehow intact.


That phone you lost where you attended your best friend's wedding where you took photos and marvelled at the whole occasion.


That phone you lost while opening gifts with your family during Christmas and how you took a mediocre video of your family getting all rowdy and rough, and joyful.


These were all stored there, along with thousands of others.


So you see, tangible as it may be, phones are more than what some people think.


It's part of us and when we lose them in various ways, we see ourselves losing a part of those events.


As if we never had them at all...

Comments

  1. I had the same feeling of loss when I lost my ID yesterday. However, a phone lost would've made me more sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. true.. sana hindi iPhone 4s yung na-lost.. nakakaloka yun pag gnun..

    ReplyDelete
  3. korek! na experience ko na yan kaya lang ang twist sa bahay ako ninakawan.

    college pa ako nun ng nagpapunta ako ng lalaki sa bahay na na meet ko lang sa isang chatroom na puno ng beki. nag cr lang ako pagbalik ko wala na ang phone ko at wala na din siya eh dalawa lang kami sa bahay... wala na ngang nangyari sa amin nanakawan pa ko. malas! hahaha!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts