A Foreign Tale

"Life in China was difficult ever since, especially in Shanghai."


No, no, you are wrong. Shanghai housed the most affluent Chinese people, yes, but they also housed the poorest of people.


I am one of them.


Maybe you think I exaggerate this to ask pity and sympathy, but I do not.


I tell it is as it is.


I hear it as it is.


I see it as it is.


Now I tell you my story, my family's story. The way I have learned from it all.


I was born in a brood of three. My mother, a housewife. And my father, a che fu - rickshaw puller.


You say,what is wrong with that, being a rickshaw puller?


Well I tell you now, everything. During those times of economic boom in Shanghai, rickshaw pullers were regarded as lowest of class. No, not even the untouchables of India. Not even better than zibuyong or even pua iyam. Not even higher than a fruitless divorced wife!


I tell you, they were the lowest of class.


But Ba ba never complained about that. He never did. He just kept quiet whenever Ma ma would complain about our life. He just looks at her and then goes out of the house. A heavy heart after a light breakfast. That was how it is.


Ba ba never complained because he felt it was fate that we were like that. His grandfather was che fu. His father also che fu. And so the only thing he inherited was an old rickshaw from Ye ye. But by the time he inherited the rickshaw after grandfather's death, it was too old to use and too used to be sold.


But Ma ma was so persistent in nagging Ba ba to sell it. Oh, I can still remember Ma ma gritting her teeth and shrilling in anger when she says it can be sold for a few yuan if he only tried!


But Ba ba did try his best to sell it. He tried to sell it in every corner of Shanghai's poor districts.


Baah! Why buy something that can not be used anymore! Said a man where father went to first.


It is very old, afraid not much use even for heating through cold nights. Said another man.


Ai ya! No, I see how old and rotten it is already! One sits there and the thing will smash to bits! Another man told us.


So at an early age I have learned how our life was very different from the other Shanghainese.


When I think about it, Shangainese people seemed very regal, full of splendor and eccentricity. But as for me  and my family, very opposite. No signs of regality and eccentricity.


After looking for a short while for people to buy the rickshaw, my Ba ba finally gave up and said it was useless. The rickshaw is very old, very ancient even.


So one day while I was playing and taking care of my younger siblings Mei and You, father came home with lots of wood. I stopped playing and looked at Ba ba, and I was wondering what he will do with all those wood?


When he went in, I can already hear Ma ma and her high-pitched voice resonating from our wooden house. She was already arguing while Pa pa was calmly telling her what he will do with the old rickshaw. Pa pa told Ma ma he will reinforce the rickshaw, making it stronger, better, sturdier than before.


Of course Ma ma was in a fit! She knew Ba ba borrowed money to buy the wood and we barely had enough to eat and now in debt! Ma ma's voice at that time was so loud, I thought the Buddha in a shrine from the distant north would suddenly wake up, fly, and slap her.


In the end, when Ba ba had finished telling his side of the story and the inside storm had passed, Ma ma just made a deep sigh and started preparing lunch.








Part 1

Comments

Popular Posts