A Pre-Christmas Conversation

"Merry Christmas!" I shouted to them at the top of my lungs, reaching the farthest corner of their temporary shelter whom most of them now call home.

"Merry Christmas, sir!" Replied the boys eager with excitement.

"How are you doing?" I looked at all of them trying to obtain the best answer they could give.

"We're fine." They all replied in chorus.

I nodded and told them how glad I was of their answer. I scanned around the area and saw what wonderful smiles they were possessing as of that moment but when I looked at the table near from where I was standing, I saw that one of them was bowing his head. I went closer to him, trying to look more closely to his face and the reason for that gesture. I inched closer, he sensed that I was drawing nearer to his personal space, he looked at me and I saw his face illuminated by the weak source of artificial light outside. His face - the boy's face expressed a word that I tried searching long in my brain bank vocabulary. If the boy's face was put on canvass, the artist would have painted it with questions and difficulty. Then, with a quick blink of my eyes I realized what, finally, his face conveyed of...forlorn.

I looked away for a moment trying to choose the right words. I could not.

I could ask him why the face. I could not.

I could tell him it will be alright. I could not.

I could smile at him again hoping it would infect him even in the slightest of ways. I could not.

"How are you doing?" I asked again hoping that what he would reply would make me learn something of his expression of demise.

"My family." His voice sounded that of someone who lost everything but himself.


I looked at him again, I could not help but empathize after all, I am still living with my family. He looked away shyly, boys will be boys. Tears are unaccepted.


He slowly began to talk again. "I miss them, I'm not with them for Christmas again." He was trying his very best to say the words, conveying them in the most sincere way he could.


I nodded and asked him how many times did he already spend Christmas here.


"Four times, this is my fourth year here." He bluntly told me.


"Do you live nearby?" I asked trying to sort out what he's currently feeling.


He motioned his head from left to right then right to left. I understood what he meant. His family lives far, far from him and where he is staying.


Honestly I was at a loss for words. I could not tell him that his family is thinking of him because that may not be true and I am giving him false reassurance which maybe detrimental. I placed my arm over his shoulders and squeezed it tightly then I gave him my brightest and most affectionate smile.


And with that he smiled back. He understood me. He will be better. He will feel better.

Comments

  1. Let's hope it will happen.
    Better lives for these boys.

    Merry Christmas Guyrony!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's one nice gift G. compassion. have a happy holidays sir. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Holidays! ang bait mo naman! Idol! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts