Gazing Both Ways

The sky was bursting with color - of blue, pink, green and yellow. Each explosion seemed to contain more life than the last, it's as if the sky had flower buds scattered all over and when the clock strikes midnight, all bloomed to give life. People from all walks of life were staring in awe, their eyes with sparkle and mouths with wonder. The children were clapping in succession as if there was a spectacular light show finale worthy of a standing ovation. And their parents were just as bewildered as well. Everyone was in high spirits. Who wouldn't be? After all, it is the start of another decade.


As the celebration proceeds to the climax, I found myself lying comfortably on my sofa bed. It was absolutely perfection. Never mind the merry-making outside coupled with a deaf-inducing ruckus and toxic gas-suffocating environment. I couldn't help but smile, and, as I budged a little in order for me to have the best reading angle of John Steinback's Of Mice and Men, I noticed a face smiling across the room by the dresser - it was my graduation picture. I turned my head sideways to look at it one more time. I let out a quick sigh and told myself how times have changed...


With the mark of another decade, how did I see myself back then? What were my goals after graduation and years after graduation? Have I become what I envisioned back then?


The smile, that smile, my smile I used to wear. Where did it go? Did it wane? Disappear gradually or instantly? Did it widen? Or to put it simpler, did my smile get better?


As the beginning of another year paces by the second, I look back on experiences not with a grain of salt but with open arms; from meeting new people to learning something different and wild to adjusting lifestyle and principles.


As the final run of the previous year comes to a halt, I look forward of future goals and dreams, on what I  have yet to encounter: people, knowledge, skills and principles alike.


And because this year had so many whirlwinds and rollercoasters and loops I just couldn't imagine, I would conclude that this, this 2010 was a good year.


But I know 2011 will be a great one. :)

Comments

  1. A hopeful New Year to you Guyrony!
    .
    .
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year Guyrony!
    And yup 2011 will be a great one!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A new year, a clean slate.

    Happy New Year G!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. G, what a year 2010 has been eh? Hey, thank you. You know what for =)

    Kane

    ReplyDelete
  5. ei G. i hope you have a great 2011!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you!

    My heart just explodes with delight from your messages.

    *Kane - baby, you are very much welcome. Thank you too. Appreciate it. A tight hug from Manila to wherever you were exiled to. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New year to you!! Hope we all have an awesome 2011! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. *Will - I do hope we have a very awesome year!

    *Xprosaic - happy new year too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts