Gym Gays er... Guys

Physicality is one aspect we can't devoid the gay community with. The very thought of nearly perfect chiseled pecs, popping-from-sleeve biceps, proportionately curved shoulders, visually-appealing V-shaped torso and the drool-worthy,impeccable, sculpted six pack abs.

My, my, how the ideal gay guy really evolved from yesteryears- from just looking good to looking good with a stable job to looking good with a stable job and a nice body to looking good with a well-paying job and a great idea- you get my point. Standards just got higher and higher. Sigh...

How funny and ironic we can be sometimes. If we go into retrospection, we can clearly imagine a caveman hunting everyday just to get through a day. We can also idealize that being chunky or tubby will get them nowhere hence they would starve. Most of them would have physiques that would make Piolo Pascual, Joem Bascon, and Derek Ramsay look wimpy and scrawny. Just think, they have to chase after their meal for God knows how many hours and distance. Cardio at its best! :) Let us now jump so far that we are now in the Age of Enlightenment or the Renaissance Period, a time when flab was considered fab, when weight is synonymous with wealth and when obesity is beauty... this was the time when people look at you with awe and glee when you have double chin or sticking-out love handles. Yes boys and gays, there was a time that most people admired the chubby and the stocky guys. Fast-forward to modernization coupled with my best friends...eating disorders: Ms. Anorexia and Mr. Bulimia plus the word 'thinspiration' plus the greatest discovery of man: size zero (0).

So, where do we gay guys stand?

Our society is harsh up to the point that it can and will eat you alive. Conforming to social norms add to our everyday stresses as people of uniqueness. We all know we're designed for perfection though no one is perfect, at least we can try to climb up there...

The Gym is our mecca: it offers a variety of unimaginable experiences from the visual to the sensual, it offers us a lot to do to make ourselves feel more 'wanted' or 'desired' in an opinionated kind of way and it offers us a whole array of people to interact with for just about anything. Bench-presses, squats, military presses, sweat, groans and semi-naked guys. Viewing pleasure taken to the next level.

Why bother going there?

Because we are creatures of insatiability, we want things when we want things, we crave for flesh in its nicest, most-sculpted form, we salivate over models and model-like people, we go ga-ga, we just go ga-ga and that's how it is in our world, in a modern gay world. I'm not trying to discriminate plus size people, I have been a plus size since I was a kid and let me tell you, it's harsher when you're big. So with the persuasiveness of my mom with her nagging and complaints, I drove myself to where I am today: a psychotic, weight-conscious, food-conscious, everything-conscious control freak out to help people with their problems either with weight or emotions or both.

The gym, it is a haven for most gay guys but for me, it's my second home in order for me to stay sane from the criticism and mistreatment of people who base their preferences on the physical aspect of man.

The gym, would you want to conform to society and all its idiosyncrasies and settings? Or, be you, just your unique you?

Comments

  1. That I am dude, that I am. Thanks for leaving a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. uhm, who isn't anyway? even those Hollywood actors/actresses have some insecurities as well. everyone i think have some insecurities hidden deep inside. i guess, for me, having insecurities are just normal. then again, its just my own opinion. :) hakuna matata!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts