Malate

"Grabe na-miss ko ito."

I walked through the streets of Malate, snaking my way past cars and tricycles, past pedicabs and motorcycles, and past people from all walks of life.

I was heading towards Roxas Boulevard to ride an FX towards home.

As I glimpsed and glanced at all the establishments, old and new, it felt simultaneously different yet nostalgic.

Magkahalong saya at lungkot ang aking naramdaman.

"Hay, times have really changed."

Nagpatuloy akong maglakad, walking past grand houses and establishments: The rich old Malate heritage.

At pagkatapos ng ilang minuto, natunton ko rin ang isang lugar na mahigit isang dekada ko nang hindi napupuntahan...Orosa-Nakpil.

Napatigil ako sa kalyeng iyon.

Tumitig sa magkabilang panig.

Nawala na ang dating mga pinupuntahan ko maliban sa Che'lu.

Ang O Bar naman ay naging isang panaderia na.

Tinignan ko rin ang BED Bar. It now has been replaced by a Japanese Restaurant.

Nakakaloko.

Where once stood a lively gay scene community full of people just out to have fun and drinks to de-stress has now been replaced by new shops.

"So this is where I started, huh?" I asked myself.

Kinuha ko ang aking telepono sa bag and started taking photos.

And then I continued, "Dito hindi ako takot maging 'ako'. Itong lugar din na ito ang nagturo sa akin to be fearless and courageous. That I am what I am. Magustuhan man nila ako o hindi. Wala akong pakialam."

And then I had to step back a little regarding my thoughts.

"But at the same time dito ko rin naranasan ang hirap maging kung ano ka, dahil aminin na natin, hindi ako kasing gwapo, kasing tangkad, at kasing puti ng ibang mga lalaki nung kapanahunan ko."

"Those were really the days."

I made a deep sigh.

And started walking towards Malate Church to pray for a very fruitful day.

"Long Live Malate."

Comments

Popular Posts