Zoom

"I can't believe you're getting married." I told my cousin while we were smoking at a nearby store.


"G, come on, we all know it would happen..." She said while patting me at the back.


"Yeah, but so soon?"


"25 isn't soon. I think it's perfect."


"Well, what more can I say?" I replied and shut up.


Walking back to our grandmother's house, I was suddenly having a few flashbacks of our time together when we were younger.


We were born in the same year. We grew up going to each other's house, playing volleyball, hide and seek, eating everything.


We grew up reading Archie's comics, watching The Lifestyle Network, and pretty much goofing off everytime we see each other.


Their house was the first vacation place I had ever been to without my parents staying for the night. I remembered I was crying that night when I told my mom earlier that I am brave enough to stay at my cousin's place. I was holding my X-men notebook bought from The Landmark.


She comforted me the whole night.


Their place felt near to home, that was what I remembered the most. I never felt like a visitor nor an intruder. heck, they loved me there! She, especially, because her older brother is about four years older so they do have a small gap. Plus the fact that they do vary in more ways than a teenage girl could think of with an adolescent brother.


So we clicked. We bonded. We had fun everytime. We never had any major argument, that's how we loved each other.


I think the only time she became pissed off of me was when I told her Leonardo sucked in Titanic in which she slammed the door and locked herself up in one of the rooms of our grandparents' ancestral house.  


But those were great moments nevertheless. The moments where I would hitchhike with them to Pangasinan whenever there would be a reunion. Earlier in my years, I would even spend Christmas and New Year with them.


Of course that had to end, but perhaps that's the confusing about preparedness, it is that sometimes you're not.


But I am her cousin, the most supportive one, I wish her the best. That is the best that I could do.


In the end, she getting married is one of the greatest thing that has happened to her.


"Well Sam, I wish you and your husband-to-be happiness." I told her while I placed my arm around her shoulder.


She smiled while we entered our grandmother's house.

Comments

  1. aww.. best wishes to sam! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes, too. Sometimes it is sad to think that the people you love will get married, there is something in the thought. But of course she'll be happier.. and you need to be happy for her, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you worried you will have less place in her heart once she gets married? With kids crowding the picture, you might miss her.

    I suppose its only human to want things to stay the way they are ... when you are happy.

    Kane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know the feeling. Magpapakasal na din kasi kuya ko. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Nate - and all the best to you and C too. :)

    @the green breaker - yes, I completely agree. Perhaps I feel like her getting married will leave a bigger gap between us. But then again, it is her happiness...

    @Kane - that is it. The selfish me wants to stay the way we were, when we were young. That is primitive instinct...

    @Nimmy - it's a conflicting emotion sometimes...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts