The Dribble on Rebound Guys

Late at night on the phone.
"This isn't working for us, I'm really sorry."

Line on the other end went dead.

Beep.Beep.Beep.Beep. The phone beeped to no end.

Lost myself in reality for two minutes.

"Shoot!" I'm still holding the damn phone on my ear.

Beep.Beep.Beep.Beep. The phone beeped to no end.

Placed the phone down and stared onto the space across the living room.

"It was for the best."

"It was for your best."

"It was for his best."

Stupid thoughts lingering inside my mind, dictating me what to do...

Snapped back to the real world again...

Took a long, deep breath... whew...

A tear fell under my right eye then another followed, now on my left.

Tears were already welling under my eyes then it formed a stream down my cheeks to my chin to my slightly distorted shorts.

"I'm gonna be fine." My brain told my heart while I'm still sobbing.

I'm gonna get through this. " Brain, you're getting kinda annoying.

I'm still sitting on the couch trying to organize my thoughts. Still in desolation and grief.

"I'm gonna find the person who will love me for me. " Stood up, brushed a little dust on my shoulders, wiped my tears dry with my shirt, threw them in the hamper and went to my room to get a clean, new, tear-less shirt in my closet.

"What will I do now?"

I went to my bed, saw my phone just lying there. "I might as well text someone." I told myself.

I thought of tons of people to text, broadcasting to them of my recent downfall but, "It just seems so wrong and too fast."

I lied on the bed, closed my eyes, rested for a bit, grabbed my phone, changed from supine to prone position and decided to text Guy 1...

"Hey, you free tomorrow night?" I texted without batting an eyelash.

Rested again, after a few minutes I heard my phone had a message (Patron Tequila by Paradiso Girls). :)

"Sorry dude, I have a dinner date tomorrow." He replied.

Didn't bother sending a reply, it doesn't matter. Scrolled down to my phonebook...aha, decided to text Guy 2.

"Dude, you free tomorrow at 8pm?"

Lied again on my bed on supine position. Waited.

"I'm on Patron Tequila me and my margarita..." phone rang.

"I can't dude, I'll be having dinner with my family." Replied Guy 2.

"Oh geez..." Feeling that I won't get anywhere, I decided to put my phone in my closet.

Walked towards the desktop computer and turned it on.

"Darn prehistoric Pentium 4 computer! It still needs a lot of time to boot."

Toot... sound coming from the CPU, ah yes, the sound of antique nearly obsolete technology.

Waited...Waited...still loading...still loading...

There! Finished! Clicked the Yahoo Messenger Icon, typed in my user name and password... I'm ready to roll...

Offline messages are such nuisance. Deleted them immediately. Scrolled my friends' list...

Down, down, down the list...

ASL? Messaged an anonymous person.

And here comes the best part.

People might not even know the definition of rebound guys but one thing is for sure, we have mostly encountered them. The sitcom Will and Grace introduced me to this very catching neo-gay term. Where Will dated a guy from the gym and his friend Jack dated another guy from the same gym, little do they know that these guys were actually partners before who recently broke up. In the end, Will got attached to the guy but the guy told him that he's sprucing things up with his former partner. Jack on the other hand was OK with it, no biggie. Rebound guys. What do they do? Where did they come from? Why do they appear? All interesting questions, all of them fairly easy to answer.

Rebound guys. No, they're not in most ways related to being a basketball player or an athlete. They're guys who you instantly meet after a break-up. They could be met right after the break-up or a day after the break-up.

They could be single, exclusively dating, committed, in a long-term partnership or even in a complicated set-up but one thing is for sure, they make themselves available.

Don't let this post make you judgmental, rebound guys aren't what you think they are.

And yes, primary reason gays coined the phrase rebound guys is because of sex, a one night stand just to temporarily erase the pain of a bad break-up or confusing closure or something in between BUT this is not always the case.

It's a matter of what you really need that time, someone to talk to in order for you to vent out your feelings, a break-up is not an easy thing to do in most cases so someone whom you can talk to is definitely an option.

Sex with rebounds? Sex is great! Hell, yeah great! But it doesn't last long enough for you to somehow express your feelings.
Well, the thing is rebound guys are either new acquaintances or old textmates so, it's really up to your MOTIVE agreed by the party involved.
So if we'll be instigating the word 'rebound guy' into a literal context, they have a bad connotation but if we look at the word in a technical perspective, we could clearly see that they are mainly playmates OR a person you could start something with IF that's what really is on your mind.




Comments

Popular Posts